- 2016 Professional Development Conference
- The Homestead – Hot Springs, VA
The Virginia Music Educators Association welcomes participants for our 2016 Annual Professional Development Conference to be held November 17 – 19, 2016 at The Omni Homestead Resort in historic Hot Springs, Virginia. Through our conference theme, we explore the great diversity of music learners, music teaching, and music making across the Commonwealth. Our 36th Annual Professional Development Conference will bring together music educators, music researchers, and performing ensembles to celebrate the place of music in our lives and communities.
Things to Know Before You Go to Conference:
Conference Schedule: VMEA 2016 Professional Development Conference Schedule
Please note: although we make every effort to publish our Conference schedule in advance, from time to time there are last minute changes that are beyond our control.
Guidebook is Ready!
VMEA Conference 2016 has gone mobile! Get the app on your mobile device now, for free.
- Visit the URL above on your device
- Tap the “download” button to get the free Guidebook app
- Open Guidebook and look for the guide: VMEA Conference 2016
Avoid long lines! Remember to pre-register before October 31. Pre-register online here: Conference Pre-Registration Form
Active Membership - $70.00
College Student Registration - $25.00
Non-member Conference Fee - $195.00
Family Member Registration (non-member) - $35.00
Retired - $0.00
New First-Year Teachers - $0.00
Your stay at The Homestead - Check In:
- To expedite your check in- please make sure your room reservations are up to date and include all names.
- Those who have reservations at The Homestead Owner’s Club Houses should check in before 6:00 PM at the housing area. Late arrivals should use the front desk of the hotel.
- Your room rate includes a breakfast buffet from 6:30 – 9:30 AM and dinner. On Thursday and Friday there is buffet in the Dining Room or Commonwealth with seatings from 5:30 pm – 8:30 pm.
- You may also make reservations for a three-course meal at the Sam Snead Tavern, The Jefferson or the Casino Restaurant.
- Dinner Reservations must include all names for the festival seating in the Dining Room and Commonwealth for up to twelve people.
- A lunch buffet is available Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 11:30 Am – 2:30 PM in the Dining Room for $14.00 – all inclusive.
- The resort fee DOES NOT include tipping for the doorman, bellman, or valet parking.
- Please enjoy your 15& discount on retail merchandise, spa, horseback riding, shooting. Make sure to check out he musical holiday decorations for purchase in the retail area.
|Associate Conference Coordinator
- Why Should Music Teachers Attend?
- Refreshes and enhances teaching skills.
- Serves as an opportunity for quality professional development.
- Provides information and training on the latest research and trends in music education.
- Reviews the latest developments in music technology.
- Affords networking opportunities with fellow music teachers from across the Commonwealth.
- Provides clinics and workshops presented by master teachers and leaders from across the United States.
- Provides opportunity to visit with music industry professionals and discuss the latest in curriculum materials for use in the classroom.
- Presents outstanding performing groups conducted by fellow teachers.
- Provides opportunity for meaningful and relevant recertification points.
- Provides new thoughts and ideas to be used in the classroom immediately.
- VMEA Conference Playoff Policy
- Band directors who may have a playoff game during conference must pre-register for the conference and then request a refund of the conference pre-registration fee in the event of a playoff game. All band directors who register at conference will pay the on-site registration fee and will not be eligible for a refund.
- Band directors it is to your advantage to go ahead and pre-register for conference and then should you have a playoff game during that weekend request a refund. Refunds should be requested through the State Manager.
- Requests for refunds must be made prior to December 1st.