Conference Performing Group Application
Elementary through college groups interested in performing for the 2017 VMEA In-Service Conference are invited to submit audition CDs for consideration along with the online application.
The 2017 VMEA Conference will be held November 16-18 at The Homestead, Hot Springs, VA
Deadline for submission of all materials: Online application by April 28, 2017, 6:00pm
The application is now all on line, including uploading mp3 files instead of mailing CDs.
Please include the following:
- Mp3 files with no identifying information
- Instrumental - Two (2) contrasting selections. Please include 2 concert programs. 1 from last year and 1 from this year
- Choral - Four (4) selections from the last 2 school years – 2 selections from each school year to include corresponding programs
- The online application—completed by 4/28/2017-6:00pm.
- NO APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THIS DEADLINE
- Director of Performing Group must be a current and continuing member of VMEA
- The director listed on the application must be the same director who directed the ensembles on the audition recording and must be the director of the ensemble for conference, if selected.
- Please give consideration to the audio quality of your recording
- Recordings will be screened anonymously by the Conference Selection Committee
- You may submit no more than 2 ensembles for consideration. Please use separate applications and separate recordings for each group to be considered
- Incomplete applications and/or recordings which do not comply with the guidelines listed above will not be considered
- Directors and ensembles that were selected to perform at the 2014, 2015, or 2016 VMEA Conferences may not submit to perform for Conference 2017
Information concerning performing at Conference:
- Total program time should not exceed 45 minutes of music for instrumental groups and 25 minutes for choral groups
- Due to the “clinic” nature of the conference, a portion of your program should include new publications
- You should balance your program with different grade levels of music. For example. You are asked to include two pieces that are two grade levels below your highest grade level selection.
- Instrumental groups accompanying choral groups may not perform a selection alone
- Instrumental - no more than two selections with a featured soloist
- Instrumental - selections should not exceed a length of 10 minutes (appropriate cuts are encouraged)
- Band program should include at least one march