VMEA Past Presidents' Scholarship:
The Past Presidents Scholarships may be presented annually by the Virginia Music Educators' Association in commemoration of the contributions of its past presidents. Two cash awards of $1,000 each (delivered as $500 per semester) may be awarded. One award will be designated for band/orchestra majors and one award will be for vocal/general music majors. The recipient must be a graduating high school senior who will be attending a Virginia four-year college or university in the fall. The student must be entering this institution as a music education major. This cash award is renewable annually for three additional years, providing the student meets renewal standards, and will be sent directly to the college or university finance office by the Virginia Music Educators' Association.
The applicant must:
- Be a high school senior in Virginia committed to majoring in music education at a college or university in Virginia.
- Provide three letters of recommendation. One must be from the student's high school director, one from a school administrator or counselor, and one from an academic teacher or private music teacher.
- Furnish an audio tape of himself of herself performing a solo.
- Provide a one-paragraph statement indicating, "Why I wish to teach music."
- Provide a copy of his/her high school transcript.
- Have been a member of their high school choral, band, or orchestra program all four years of high school.
- Show evidence that the applicants' choral, band, or orchestra director is a current member of VMEA.
- Complete an application to be postmarked by March 15, 2016, and sent to Dan Helm, Chairman, V.M.E.A. "Past Presidents" Scholarship Committee, 7645 Long Pine Drive, Springfield, VA 22151
This scholarship is renewable for three consecutive years providing the following criteria are met:
- The applicant must continue to major in Music Education at a four-year college or university in Virginia.
- The applicant must achieve a minimum accumulated grade point average of 2.50 their freshman year and a 3.00 each following year.
- The applicant must provide a university or college transcript of instructional activities. This transcript must be received by the VMEA Scholarship Committee Chairman on or before June 20th of each year for the renewal check to be written.